Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A sense of place


I wonder sometimes what it would be like to go through life without feeling so connected to my "place". I can't really imagine it.

Today, as penance for all the food I've consumed over the past week, I drove to Risser's Beach and ran 16k from there through Petite Riviere to the far end of Green Bay and back - with a brief side trip to the top of Drew's Hill to take in the view.

It's an area I know well since I've spent time there regularly for more than 30 years. There's no other place on earth where I feel so peaceful or so entirely myself.

Today was stunningly beautiful. Sunny, still and mild, it didn't feel at all like late December. There were quite a few others walking Risser's Beach but I had Green Bay (pictured above) almost entirely to myself.

When I reached my turnaround point at the far end of the bay, I wanted nothing more than to stop and stretch out on sun-warmed sand, listen to the waves crashing against the shoreline and let my mind drift awhile. Only the knowledge Husband would worry if I didn't arrive home on schedule kept me from giving into temptation.

Do you have a place that you feel connected to in the same way? If so, what makes it special to you?

(Below, a few more pics from my run.)

From the top of Drew's Hill
Risser's Beach from the Green Bay Road

The house I want to live in one day. :-)

Far end of Green Bay
Little Risser's Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment